After days of deliberation (and consultation with many, many family, friends, and even my own former teachers), I've decided to go with the TA position. My reasoning is as follows:
- Great potential for long-term subbing and/or being hired full-time in the district with the recommendation from the AP who hired me.
- The opportunity to observe fantastic teachers in their classrooms each day. I feel this is a luxury most of us don't have as classroom teachers because we're too busy to really spend that kind of time learning from others. I'm excited to pick up new management strategies and lesson plans from my team. (And yes, I will be sharing lots of ideas!)
- I'm comfortable in the school. I know and like much of the staff and am excited to be a part of their team.
- My day is complete at 3:00, and I can walk out of the building without worrying about grading, planning, parent calls, etc. This will be weird... in a good way.
- The ability to take on tutoring or other extra-curricular activities without worrying that I won't have time to get everything done for the next day.
- My parents are gracious enough to allow us to stay with them longer, meaning we don't have to worry as much about finances. Basically, I have the most supportive parents in the world. :)
I honestly feel like this was the hardest decision in my life. It wasn't the biggest (moving to Louisiana wins that award), but it was definitely the hardest. But I'm confident that I'm making the right choice for me at this point in my life.
Before I go, I also want to announce the winner of my Quietest Classroom Pencil Sharpener Giveaway, Crystal S. Congratulations, Crystal, and thank you to all of you who entered my very first giveaway. I hope you all stay tuned because I have some more ideas mind for the future!