The objective is to be the first student to correctly identify a vocabulary word and swat it with a fly swatter.
To set it up, you scatter the vocabulary words across the board (this can easily be done on a SMARTboard or in Powerpoint too).
Here's how you play:
- Divide the class into two teams.
- One person from each team comes to the front of the room with their backs to the board.
- The teacher reads a definition for one of the vocabulary words.
- Students turn around and race to identify the correct word and swat it with the fly swatter.
- The first student to correctly swat the word gets a point for his or her team.
- Continue until all students have played or all words have been reviewed.
My students have SO MUCH FUN with this game.
One of the things I like best is that the scattered words leaves room for chance. It's not always the smartest student who wins because they may not be able to find the word the fastest.
I also want to add that you needn't worry about damaging your interactive white boards with this game. The boys in my classes have proven many times that the fly swatters take the brunt of the impact. :)