If this week is any indication of what the end of this year has in store, it's going to be a LONG six weeks! If I didn't know better, I would have thought we had a full moon EVERY DAY this week because I had to deal with way too many meltdowns.
Despite the fact that this week has left me in serious need of a glass (or bottle) of wine, I did manage to find 5 things that made me laugh this week:
1. Whenever my PE class is assigned to workout in the fitness lab, I get excited because it means Robin (the PE teacher) and I get to dance around to fun music while the kids laugh from the stationary bikes and treadmills. We were just about done when Pharell's 'Happy" song started playing. I don't know how anyone could not love that song... it's just so... well.. HAPPY! About half way through the song, Robin decided it would be fun to have our class burst into the health room next door for a little impromptu dance mob. Their reactions were priceless, and several students danced with us in their seats. It was a great pick-me-up!
2. One of the characters in a story we read this week lives in Ontario. We asked the students where that was, and they just stared at us. When my co-teacher tried prompting them with, "This country has provinces," they still stared blankly. Finally, she said, "It's North of us," and a student exclaimed, "North and South Dakota!" Seriously?????
3. Our SPED kiddos have been working hard to build birdhouses during our Design and Modeling class this week. J was very excited when she learned she would be able to paint her birdhouse pink because... everything has to be pink for this sixth grader. I sat with her and watched her start painting, giving her tips about keeping the project on the paper towel mat I provided and being careful not to splatter the paint. After I was satisfied that she was doing a great job on her own, I walked away to clean up a mess from an old project in another part of the wood shop. When I came back, I saw that she managed to get paint ALL over the table, her clothes, and even in her hair (from using her paint-stained hands to tuck her hair behind her ears). Poor girl was rocking some pink highlights!!
4. On days when we have a few extra minutes at the end of science, the classroom teacher likes to share riddles, strange but true facts, and brain teasers with the class. On this particular day, she was sharing a riddle about something found on a path with four fingers and a thumb that is not covered in flesh or fur. One of our ESL kiddos guessed, "Human hand!" and she immediately asked him what covered his hand. Of course, he said, "Skin!" and then she had to explain that flesh means skin. haha!
5. In PE, we were outside playing Sharks and Minnows. For those that don't know, this game involves a small group of students standing in the middle of a field (sharks), who try to tag the minnows as they run from one side to the other. We called the minnows by classification (those wearing black socks, those in band, etc.). In one round, Robin yelled, "Anyone with BO!" and all the kids stared at each other. Some started guessing, "Band and orchestra?!" not remembering that our music kids had already run across the field. Finally, one student proudly yelled, "Body Odor!!!!" as he began sprinting past all 5 sharks like it was a walk in the park.