"If you could only watch ten television shows for the rest of your life, what would they be?"
I knew immediately that this would be my SOL topic because I'm a big fan of TV. It's my favorite way to unwind after a long day... or, if I'm really being honest, any time I'm feeling lazy... which is often. When I got my first DVR, the addiction really took over. I LOVED being able to record ALL THE THINGS and watch them at my convenience.
Now that we're relying on streaming for television, (we decided against cable in our new house and are just using Netflix and Hulu Plus), we're much more likely to binge watch shows, which isn't really something I did in the past. Well, I have one exception to that, but I'll explain that in a minute.
There's something very satisfying about being able to watch an entire season (or even more) without waiting a week between episodes. I really think this is the future of television.
So... only ten shows for the rest of my life? Here's what I choose (in no particular oder):
- Orange is the New Black - This is the ONE exception to my binge watching comment above. The second I started this show, I couldn't wait for the next episode. I love SO MANY of the characters that I honestly can't pick one favorite. I finally convinced Joel to watch it the other week, and he loved it too! June 12th can't get here soon enough!
- Law & Order SVU - I mean, if I only get 10 shows for the rest of my life, it's probably smart to choose a series that's been on for like a million years. Also? They will literally never run out of content, so I think this show will be on for the rest of my life!
- Grey's Anatomy - I know a lot of people jumped off this bandwagon years ago, but I'm far too loyal for that. I'm invested in these characters and NEED to know what happens to them. I just can't quit it!
- Real Housewives of New York - These women are SO delusional and SO drunk all the time... how can you not watch?! Between Carole's witty one-liners and Sonja's inability to define her brand, I am endlessly entertained!
- Real Housewives of Orange County - Again. I'm invested. I've been with these ladies since day one, so I can't abandon them now. Who will be Tamara's frenemy each season? Will Vicky and Brooks make it or not?
- Real Housewives of Atlanta - I spent a week in ATL once for a work conference and literally couldn't stop laughing at what I saw. I don't care how much of a junk car you're driving, if you're driving it in Atlanta, it WILL be suped-up with tinted windows, shiny rims, and a massive sound system. This is kinda how I feel about the housewives. They care so much about the display (appearances) but not their character.
- Real Housewives of New Jersey - My whole life, I've always heard about the drama that ensues when big families get together for holiday meals. I come from a pretty small family, so I cannot relate, but this show gives me all the family drama I could ever ask for!
- Gilmore Girls - This show makes my list for nostalgic reasons. It reminds me of simpler times. Also? I was told once that the way Rory and Lorelei talk (finish each other's sentences and talk about topics without ever actually mentioning names because they are THAT in sync) is how my BFF Ashley and I talk to each other. So... it wins a special place in my heart for always.
- Scandal - This one mostly makes the list because I HAVE to find out who Olivia ends up with at the end of this show. #teamjake This show has taught me that we simply cannot trust our government one bit because all the things that really matter are classified and happen without our knowledge. Also? Is there no really such thing as an honest politician?!
- Couples Therapy - I totally find myself relating to the various issues each couple brings to the show, though usually not the same extent, so I actually find this show to be pretty enlightening. Why pay for therapy when I can get it from VH1 for free? Amiright?!
What's on your list?!